Poppy Delevingne Talks 'Sleevage' And THAT Chanel Wedding Dress

By | 7:42 PM Leave a Comment
Poppy Delevingne Attends The Launch Party For Cartier Tank Anglaise
It’s not everyday we’re given the chance to jet out of a very rainy and very grey London to hop across to Spain for a glamorous party and an interview with one of our ultimate style crushes. So needless to say InStyle’s Digital Fashion & Beauty Writer, Maxine Eggenberger, accepted the offer to head to Barcelona to chat with Poppy Delevingne quicker than you can say ‘mini-break!’ We joined Poppy and a cohort of bloggers and fashionistas for a cocktail or two in the sunny city to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Zara's sister store (and our new autumn/winter style go-to), Stradivarius.
Poppy Delevingne
But before the party really got started, we got to sit down with the model to chat all things fashion, weddings, and how she wants to look like Kim Kardashian... Poppy, you always look so polished; what’s the one style rule you live by, everyday? 'Not to think about it too much, I never pre-plan an outfit, ever. I always have an item in mind that I want to wear then the next day, I put it on and I love the 20-minute rush of frantically tearing clothes out of my wardrobe to go with it. And I honestly feel that’s the best way to do it; there’s no method to my fashion madness so to speak. The more relaxed you are, the better the outcome. If you give yourself too much time, you over think it and it can come out a mess.' It may be sunny here in Barcelona but back home it’s officially winter. What will we see you wearing all season long? 'A lot of oversized coats; big man coats. That’s what I want – that’s all I want! Even if they’re thin, it doesn’t matter; I’ll just drape them over my shoulders. I’m going be snug as a bug this autumn.'
Poppy Delevingne Attends The Asmallworld Gala Dinner For Alzheimer
You’ve been in the limelight for a long time; how do you think your style has developed over the years? 'I feel like my style is always evolving; I can never stick to one thing. I don’t have a set way of dressing or a uniform, though I kind of wish I did. But then again, I also love that I can be any sort of character I want – that’s a little bit of the actress coming out of me. I love the characters you can build upon when you wear different things. You know, sometimes, I’ll want to be girly and wear tulle on a Tuesday and sometimes I wanna be like Kim Kardashian and wear black leather head-to-toe. I love the change-up and, for me, that keeps fashion really refreshing and exciting.' If you had to choose, what is your favourite piece in your wardrobe? 'Oh no. That’s such a hard one. I guess it’s that kind of thing; if your house were burning down, what would you save? For me, it would have to be my Chanel star jumpsuit, which I’d be really sad if I lost. It was the first piece of Chanel I ever wore, and that means so much to me. Not only because it’s amazing and looks like its come straight out of Studio 54, but also because it represents this beginning in my life and really kick-started my relationship with them.' Speaking of Chanel, we have to mention your stunning wedding dress; was it bespoke? Did you play much of a part in its design? 'Oh my god; it was bespoke, yeah. I did have my part to play in the beginning. I basically sent through sheets of ideas and things I was really in love with and then I let them roll with it; I let Karl Lagerfeld roll with it. Karl and Madame Martine both they knew what they wanted to do. You can trust Karl and, plus, you want them to work their magic on it. You definitely don’t want or need to step on anyone's toes…'
Poppy Delevingne En Madame Figaro
When you saw your dress completed for the first time, was it long before your big day? 'It was four days before the wedding, and I fell so completely in love with it. I never thought I would be like that but I was very emotional; everyone was very emotional. I brought all the girls to Madame Martine and, there’s like ten women who work there, and they were all so excited. I bought them all massive bunches of roses as a thank you so, by the time I got there, I was pretty exhausted. We’d worked on it for a long time together so it was an amazing moment for everyone; we were all giggly and happy and celebrated with cake. The only way to celebrate…' You’ve got a killer designer wardrobe, but we’re just as likely to see you rocking a high-street buy. What is it that you love most about the high-street? 'I’ve always been a high-street girl, ever since I got excited by fashion. When you grow up, you think everything you own is going to be designer. Not true. Most of the stuff I own is high-street. I love mixing it up; it’s so beautifully made nowadays and the quality is of such a high standard and, let’s be honest, everybody loves a bargain. Some of the most vital pieces in my wardrobe are high-street and a lot of them have lasted me for years and years.' We're with you there! So, where are we likely to find you browsing the rails? 'I adore Stradivarius – I buy a lot from them online. Obviously I’m a Topshop girl. Mango. Zara; I’m a huge Zara fan. A little bit of River Island. All Saints. Reiss. You’ll catch me in all of those places; I can’t help myself. The thing is, they all offer something completely different. If it’s a Friday night and I’m having a “I have nothing to wear’” moment, I will literally RUN to Topshop. Or, if I want a really great coat, I’ll go to Zara. They do the best coats. What they do really well is quality, statement pieces, as do Stradivarius. This leather skirt is from them and it’s day, it’s night. You can wear it all the time and it hasn’t lost its shape.' You’re a style icon in your own right, but who inspires you most? 'I always look to the old-school ladies; I love Jane Birkin, the Shrimp, Brigitte Bardot. So, I'm all over this season's '60s vibe. It's the perfect season for me.' What’s a styling trick that you always have in your repertoire that you think just makes an outfit? 'Sleeves. I’m so weird about sleeves. No-one ever thinks about them but sometimes, if I’m helping my sister get ready, if it's myself getting ready or if a friend comes over before we head out, and we can’t make an outfit work I’m always like, “hold on”; it can either be like, this sounds so stupid, but a case of rolling it up so it sits above the elbow and you stick a little stitch in it so it stays. That can change the whole feel of your look; whether it’s a coat, a blouse, a shirt, a dress, a top – it can change everything. And people always forget that. So sleeves; I’m the queen of the sleeve.' Does my sleeve pass? How’s my sleeve? 'Fanstatic! You’ve got great sleevage in that jacket; you’re sleevage is blowing my mind! Who needs cleavage? It’s all about the sleevage.'

0 comments:

Post a Comment